05 September 2008

McCain's Convention Speech

Last night I, like 38.9 million others, sat down and watched McCain accept the RNC's nomination for president. While I was watching, I had the good fortune of live-blogging with mostly like-minded people so that added to the entertainment. I didn't expect a very great speech from McCain and he didn't deliver one. I think it's fair to say that he's not a terribly gifted speaker but that shouldn't disqualify someone from being a president. For me, it's all about policy and issues. Luckily for me, this election cycle has been fairly because, almost across the board, I disagree with what McCain is pushing. Along with his positions on the issues, I have a lot of difficulty imagining that he is genuine in some--if not most--of what he says.

According to Neilsen, McCain's speech was watched by a half-million more people than Obama's. While this was a little disappointing for me initially, I can't help but thinking that this is a good thing. It is my hope that to more people are able to compare McCain and Obama, the Senator from Arizona will look worse.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

McCain's following is disheartening to me, but I am just praying that whatever God wants will happen.

Edward Carson said...

I will say that I like his attempt to stick it and warn the conservative base of change that have dominated the party. I mean they have stuck it to him for years; regardless, I was not impressed.

Jigsaw said...

He certainly isn't much of a gifted speaker but I remember a fantastic quote from a first century Christian. If you have not read the book by the same title, get it. It is awesome.

A Roman was ridiculing the Christians because they had not great philosophers. The Christian replied (title of the book)
"We don't speak great things, we live them."

I see the McCains have lived great things so I am content if he isn't the most polished at reading from teleprompters.

Ian said...

Jigsaw,

By "great things," do you mean things like the Keating 5 scandal or his policy reversal on many many issues to better appeal to the conservative base? Or do you just mean his time as a POW?

Anonymous said...

The Irresistible Revolution is so great. It made me squirm when I read it because I was like, DANG SHANE you put me to shame with your life! He's a great guy and a wonderful asset to that lucky community.

and...feel free to leave your abortion comments. I tell people to leave it civil but no one listens to me! so you may as well join in. haha.