14 August 2008

Black Kids


I've been sitting on this musical review for a few weeks now. The song "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You" has been playing on XPN since just after SXSW and it's nearly impossible to get out of your head. I was hoping that the rest of the album lived up to the promise of the first single and was not too disappointed.

Their first album, called Partie Traumatic was released in late July and is chock-full of clever song titles. It opens with the track "Hit the Heartbrakes" and ends with "Look At Me (When I Rock Wichoo)." The songs are altogether catchy and synth-heavy almost to a fault. The lead singer, Reggie Youngblood, has a fairly pleasant voice that fits well within the cacophony (I use this term as positively as possible) of sound created by the rest of the band. I doubt that this band will change the face of music but I'll happily put it at the top of my summer music list for 2008.

If I had to recommend only one track, it would have to be "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance with You (The Twelves Remix)" which, I think, is only available through electronic download. It's funkier than the radio version with a pulsing bass that physically shakes your body.

No comments: